Monday, March 9, 2009

This Day of Mine

I had what I would describe as a "creepy" kind of day today. And I need to talk about it.

It wasn't a bad day, school and housework went well. But it started off weird. I woke up at 6:30 am which is earlier than I had planned to wake up. Todd usually gets home from work at 7:30. I tried to go back to sleep but I started hearing strange creaking noises coming from the living room. It wasn't exactly dark out but it wasn't light yet either. I kept dozing and waking up every time I heard a creak. I thought about getting up and investigating but I was too tired and decided that if anything WAS in the living room, Todd could deal with it when he got home. I prayed for his protection at work, stopped being scared of the creaking and went back to sleep. Then I began getting startled by what sounded like animal noises. Thought I heard a low growl, then a few bump-bumps, then a bit of a whine (and we do not have any animals that make noise). It wasn't coming from the kids' rooms. It had snowed during the night and perhaps there were noises outside being muffled by the snow, I don't know. But, again, I was so tired I tried to shake my unsettled feelings and finally fell asleep.

Todd came home an hour later than usual (8:30 am). It turns out that he had to help restrain a meth-withdrawal patient that was trying to bite him and the other nurses while they were attempting to care for her. Todd ended up getting a scratch on his wrist which freaked me out until he reassured me that he would be o.k. (At least this patient didn't have HIV and Todd has had a Hepatitis shot.) But the amazing thing is that I prayed for God's protection on him about 1/2 hour before this occurred. I can be unusually sensitive to ... well, lots of things, especially situations concerning my loved ones and this was one of those times, I believe. God woke me and led me to pray for my husband, at the right time. This patient had already bitten a female nurse on a previous shift. I fully believe God protected my husband from being bitten. Praise the Lord!

The rest of the day was actually a good one, except the weather was strange. Like I said, it had snowed throughout the night and continued to snow off and on, all day long. In between the snow, it rained, hailed, then blue sky and sun. The wind blew and then it was still. It was just all over the place, weather-wise today. Out my kitchen window, I can see up the street and it being trash pick-up day, I could see all my neighbors' trash cans lined up the hill. On one open bin, I saw our neighborhood sea gull sitting, eating his lunch. He apparently sidelined two crows who had been sitting there earlier. This particular sea gull is a frequent guest on our hill. He walks up and down the street, several times a week. We had never seen him fly until today. When our trash man approached, the sea gull flew off - indignant, I'm sure. The kids and I laughed, watching all this.

Later today, I was washing the dishes and, while looking down at the sink, I heard a loud "thump!" Oh, no! Alec looked out the front door and, sure enough, a poor little brown bird laid there, dead. I cried. We haven't had a bird hit our kitchen window in a long, long time (fortunately). I asked Chad if he'd take care of it but he declined. Then I realized that it was a "Mom" thing so I carefully took it across the street to the vacant lot. It took me a long time to get up the courage to pick it up (wearing gloves, of course!) but I did it. Sigh. I hate to kill spiders, for goodness sake. Bird deaths really upset me. I'm so very thankful I didn't see it hit the window. At least its death was quick. And maybe, just maybe, it was only stunned. Perhaps it came to its senses and flew away. Oh, do you think?

Yeah, today was kind of creepy. I'm so glad I know Jesus. Days like today would have a different meaning if I didn't know that God is in control and we don't need to be concerned when things seem weird. And that knowledge keeps me from dwelling on the bizarre happenings in everyday life. It's just life.


Leingang Family said...

It was a very strange day! We spent most of the day saying what a strange day it was.

I so agree that it is such a comfort to know that God is in control. And I am sure that God woke you to pray for your hubby. I am glad that he is ok.

Enjoy the sunny weather!

moreofhim said...

That really was a God thing - you hearing those weird noises and feeling compelled to pray. Don't you think the animal noises were probably like that poor patient that was being cared for by your hubby? When people are on drugs, they really are like animals and that's exactly what I thought of as I was reading your post. I'm SO glad your hubby didn't get bitten! That would have been very scary!

I hope you've had better days since then! We've had some odd days here, too, but more about not feeling well than anything. The change of weather makes for strange feelings, too.

Take care, dear friend!

Blessings- Julie