Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pre-Blog Life

Here's a question: What did you do with your time, prior to the Internet? Before you learned about blogging and got the nerve to start your own blog? For some of you, it's been a long time so you might have to really think about this.

For me, personally, I was pretty much knee-deep in young kids so my evenings (which is when I blog) were filled with getting the kids down for the night (baths, snacks, stories, etc.) Now, with just one child still needing me, I have more time in the evening - unless she's dragging her feet which has been the case lately. It's amazing ... just 10 minutes or so after I get her to bed, suddenly I feel relaxed and have more energy, even when I'm exhausted prior. I asked my husband about this and he said it's because I'm still on duty until she's in bed. And he's right - until Carmen says goodnight, I'm still "at work".

When I first started blogging, it was kind of addictive. I couldn't wait to sit down and write and/or read/comment. I'm glad to say that now I choose when I blog and it's not so compelling. For me, that's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with blogging every day but there are days I would rather read more or whatever. And things have changed here due to Todd's schedule. When he's home, I barely touch the computer, which explains why a week goes by before I post again. Yeah, it's getting kind of slow here at "Three's A Crowd", but I'm sure no one minds! But only having Todd home 4 nights a week makes our time together more important. Just sitting with him alone is a treat (even if he's watching a Star Trek video!) It's even more of a treat when we watch "As Time Goes By" (which is my favorite.)

Speaking of Star Trek (were we speaking of Star Trek - o.k. just pretend we were) ... Did you know that the character "Data", who is the android on the starship, doesn't use contractions when he speaks? He does later on in the movies but in the "Next Generation" TV series, he is programmed not to use contractions. The reason I'm bringing this up is I have noticed that I do not use contractions when I blog. I often go back over my writing and use contractions where I can in an effort to shorten a comment or to make my writing flow better. And every time I do this, I am reminded of Data. Darned annoying!

You know, tonight I felt like writing but couldn't come up with a topic. Funny how one can fill a page with nothing to say!

5 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

I think you said a lot! What did I do before blogging? I threw every ounce of my energy into my kids. Not a very healthy situation, really. Blogging not only helped me get back to writing, it helped me get back to drawing regularly. And I've "met" so many wonderful people all across the country and around the world!

I hope you are feeling better. I kept thinking about you last week and had no time to check up on you. Sorry about that!

I do remember Data's lack of contractions. I didn't know he got over it. I guess that was in the movies? Star Trek: The Next Generation was my favorite of the Star Trek genre.

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

jugglingpaynes said...

PS- thank you for the weeding advice! I never thought of using boiling water!

40winkzzz said...

So... when you said he "DOESN'T use contractions", were not you using a contraction?

Mama Self said...

Great topics. I used to watch TV more. Now I read and write more. I guess we'll keep changing as we get older (I can't say mature, as some people might not. :)). And, yes, hubby-time ROCKS! Glad you get to have some.

Have a wonderful week.

Leingang Family said...

When our oldest was a baby I watched Next Generation every night while I was waiting for Chris to come home from work. Watching them always brings back memories.