Monday, June 30, 2008

That's Mr. Stiers, To You

I'm still waiting. But that's not what I want to write about. Oh, and thanks so much for all the encouraging comments (wonder woman - I like that (see mama self's comment on my last post!)

Remember awhile back, I mentioned that weird coincidences seemed to happen to me? I've also recently written about Star Trek: The Next Generation. This post combines the two. You can't wait, can you?

Last Thursday evening, my husband put in his Star Trek tape that has about 6 episodes that we taped years ago. I never know what episode is going to play because we've never written down what exactly is on them. The episode that first played is the one that guest stars David Ogden Stiers as a scientist from another planet. He boards the ship to conduct an experiment on his planet's star with the help of the Enterprise. I like this episode because I like this actor so I was glad to be able to watch it. I remember Mr. Stiers mostly from the comedy M*A*S*H, where he played Charles Winchester III, the blue-blooded tent mate of Hawkeye (Alan Alda) and BJ. Do you remember who I'm talking about? Of course, he's done lots of other screen and TV work but this is what I'm most familiar with.


Anyway, the very next morning, I went into the kitchen where my sweet husband was unloading the dishwasher (nothing more beautiful to see in the a.m!) He had the radio on and said, "David Ogden Stiers is being interviewed on the radio." I didn't hear him right at first. Then it dawned on me that it really was this actor, being interviewed on our local (small town) radio station. I was amazed! After listening to the interview, which I enjoyed, we heard that he was going to be at our local theatre, participating in a musical program. I was still amazed! I found out that he lives about 3 hours south of here, on the coast. I thought that was so cool! I thought, "Wow, I get to see this guy in person, right here in our little town!"

But wait, Todd has to work. It's kind of spendy. It's not going to happen. O.k. I decided that it was enough just to hear the interview and know that he was here. I did find out that he guest conducts for the Newport Symphony Orchestra (Newport is 3 hours south of us on the coast), the next time being this January, so I might be able to go to that. Maybe.

And wouldn't you know it. The ICU unit at the hospital was closed (meaning they had no patients) - they called about 5:00 p.m. to tell Todd not to come in. Bummer. The concert had started at 4:00 p.m. It just wasn't meant to be. But that's o.k. It was just one of those wonderful coincidences that happen in my life, I suppose, to give me something to ponder.

1 comment:

Mama Self said...

I absolutely LOVED M*A*S*H when I was growing up. I saw it again when Lee was deployed this last time only to find some of the content "too much." I guess things stand out more now that I mostly deal with my family and church folks and limited time in the world. Anyway, that was SO COOL about your coincidence, and I hope you do get to see him in January.

Yes, the video clip made a lot of us cry at church. I think it was good to wake us up, as we can inadvertently harden to their plight. Thank you for praying with me about this!!

And thanks for thinking of Trey, too. I'm sure you know how difficult this has been for me, but God is gracious and faithful, and it seems Trey is maturing in his Christian walk (praise God!).

Have a great week, blog friend!