Monday, August 11, 2008

How We Spent Our 20th

Oh, you kind, kind ladies! What nice things you have said! Thank you so much. If you missed my HSB blog, called "20", it tells some details of our beginning to the present. And that photo (at HSB) at the bottom of me was one Todd really likes - me and my toothy smile. It's who I am, I guess.

So, what did we do on our 20th anniversary? Funny you should ask. Well, o.k., no one asked but I want to record it anyway.

Todd got up before me and made a white cake, complete with "20" frosted on it. It was beautiful and delicious. Carmen kept saying it looked like a wedding cake (she's quick!) We each had cards for the other and shared some chocolate-covered cherries before breakfast.

Later, after lunch and before we cut the cake, I instructed the kids how to sing "Happy Anniversary" to us. When one of them balked, I said, "No cake unless you sing". Got results fast.

It was precious. I stopped breathing so I could just focus on that moment and devote it to memory in my heart. They were so sweet. Then I grabbed the video camera and said, "O.k., now let's do that again so I can record it!" "Mom!" Just kidding - I wouldn't make them do that over.

After lunch, Todd got out my stored wedding gown and veil, ironed them for me (no small feat) and I put them on. Believe it or not, after 3 babies, the dress still fits! I now weigh 15 lbs less than I did when we married but having kids redistributes your weight. It was only a bit tight around the waist. Whoopee!

Todd put on a tuxedo that he inherited from my late step-father and he looked very, very nice. Then we had my son takes photos. Not the best idea, I'm afraid.

The photos he took were almost acceptable - except for a few things we couldn't quite come to terms with. Bad lighting. Bad angles. Sigh. We looked pretty good (if I do say so myself) but we haven't decided which one to post. Funny, Rebeca asked about "then and now" photos on my HSB post. I'll let you know, Rebeca!

When that was done, it was time to go out to dinner - just the two of us. A first in 13 years! I don't often have a chance to get really dressed up so that made it even more special. Todd looked very handsome in his sport coat. I didn't make him wear a tie. I fussed over which pantyhose to wear, changing 3 times. It was a wonder I had pantyhose at all! Has this ever happened to you?

We went to a fabulous restaurant overlooking the Columbia River - we save this place for special occasions (it's spendy). We sat in the loft section where we were the only ones seated for at least an hour. Very private and very awkward at first. We kind of looked out at the water and around and at each other for a bit. I was nervous, like on a first date or something! I finally relaxed and we had a great time. I want to go out with this guy more often! It was so fun. We just talked and talked. We held hands. The food was great and we ordered coffee and dessert as well. I didn't want it to end. Finally, Todd's phone rang. It was Chad, wondering when we were coming home. Time to go. We picked up Subway sandwiches for the kids on the way home (we ate early, we didn't leave them starving or anything!) The kids were thrilled to get Subway plus cake for dessert!

I had a lovely anniversary. We really enjoyed each other's company on our special day. I have often said that my wedding day was one of the most perfect and wonderful days of my life. Nothing, absolutely nothing, went wrong on that day. Seriously. Even it if had, it would have been o.k. but what a blessing that it went as well as it did. Well, my 20th anniversary now has to rank right up there near it. I praise the Lord for a simple and lovely day to remember.

3 comments:

Mama Self said...

How fun! Time spent as a family and as a couple...the best of both worlds. It's so great that you had some "alone time." And what I'd pay to fit back into my wedding dress... :)

Rebeca said...

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for posting the pictures. You look great- then and now! Very fun! I weighed 106 when I got married and I doubt I'll ever get back in that dress again! Many more years to the two of you!
Rebeca

Leingang Family said...

What a special day! Doesn't it make you feel so good when the dress still fits? I wore mine last year for Halloween at our church's Harvest Party.