Monday, August 4, 2008

20 Years

If you would have told me, many years ago, that I would someday meet a tall, blue-eyed, blond that would ask me to marry him (after just 5 weeks of dating) and that we would someday celebrate 20 years together ... I would have thought you were nuts!

But that's just what happened.

And that special day is this Wednesday, August 6th. Send no gifts - just prayers for another 20+ years. Or more.



(This is us on our happy day with our pastor, Matt, my sister's bro-in-law. Look familiar to anyone?)







I can't imagine being married to anyone but Todd. There just isn't anyone under the sun who can remotely put up with me. Oh, sure, he thinks I'm hot (which is a blessing, let me tell you!) But he also loves me regardless of how often I nag him or the kids. Regardless of how often the kitchen is full of dirty dishes. Regardless of how often dinner is served after 6:30 pm. On and on ...

Because, in me, he sees the love I have for my Lord, my intense desire to be a good mom to my kids, and my ability to love him .... regardless.

He sees in me the potential to be so much more than I am. He often encourages me to write more, to better myself, to try something new. When I am in a self-critical mood, he tries to turn my attitude around.

Marriage to someone for this length of time is long enough to see the very best and the very worst in each other. To memorize each other's face, to see all the imperfections both inside and out, yet love each other through them. He helped me in each of 3 births. I've seen him through numerous surgeries for melanoma (with another one in a few weeks - please pray), and heart surgery (just to list the most serious ailments!) He supported me when I gave my all to a women's ministry that I was head of for several years. I backed him when he decided to close his cabinet business of 15+ years and go back to school to become a nurse. I sleep alone 3-4 nights a week due to his work schedule. I don't like it but, because I love him, I do it because he prefers working in ICU at night. The give and take seems to equal out over time.

We've both had times when we wanted to walk out. But we didn't. Because God is the tie that binds us together. Marriage is difficult. Without God, marriage must be nearly impossible. Because when you take two people and build a life together, you can be certain there will be many, many bumps along the way. But when you survive the bump, the joy is there to meet you. The love is renewed and fresh.





Thanks, Todd. Happy 20th Anniversary!

Love, Kate.

8 comments:

Rebeca said...

Congratulations! And many more years to you!

Shani said...

I haven't popped by this blog in quite awhile, so thought that the event of your anniversary warranted an impromptu visit.

Again I say to you, Happy 20th Anniversary! I had no idea that Todd proposed after only 5 weeks - my hubby did the same thing! When it's fate, there's nothing else to say but "yes," is there?

Much love and joy to you both~
Shani

Leingang Family said...

Happy Anniversary!

Mama Self said...

What an inspiration you both are! It is so true that there are times when we just want to walk out because of difficulties. But, oh!, the rewards are there when you stick it out. God has truly blessed you both with each other. I look forward to congratulating you both in anoher twenty. :)

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Congratulations Todd and Kate!

What a wonderful and candid testimony of your marriage.

Vicki said...

Congrats! Would you believe that I was married on that exact same day? You did much better then I as you picked a winner. (I needed a second try to get it right.)

You are a beautiful couple!

May the Lord continue to bless you and yours.

Vicki said...

* Just a note & you can delete this* My first spouse is an out of control Manic Depressive. I left him to protect our daughter.

Cat said...

Congratulations Kate and Todd, and here's to many, many more years ahead for you both.

With lots of love from your fellow '88 wedding buddy downunder (our 20th is in Dec).