Friday, March 23, 2012

Out With the Old!

The kitchen now has no upper cabinets and no ceiling. It does, however, have a new skylight! Imagine ... LIGHT in my dark kitchen! With temperatures in the low 40's this week with rain, we were wondering how things would go when actual demolition began. No worries! On Wednesday, when the weather man was calling for snow, bad enough to hamper travel, our part of the coast cleared up and got sunny! Todd got up on the roof and installed the skylight in 4 hours and only got rained on for about an hour of that time! Thursday was nice enough for us to walk and then he started tearing out upper cabinets. Today was sunny all day, the kids and I sat on the deck while Todd made a nightmare out of the kitchen, tearing out the ceiling. I still got to cook in the remains of my old kitchen tonight and perhaps tomorrow night, but I am thrilled that the weather made today much more tolerable. The kitchen will be colder tomorrow morning but that's part of remodeling.

We are getting the travel trailer ready for cooking dinners. I think we can still do breakfast and lunch in the house. Who wants to stumble out to the trailer in the a.m?! This is all so surreal. It feels like a dream. The cleaning up part doesn't, though! Pink fluffy fiberglass is a pain to clean up - who invented this stuff, anyway?

We still have decisions to make regarding the cabinets, counter tops, etc. The floor has been decided. The pantry will have to wait a bit. I am praying for God's guidance and for Him to give Todd strength and wisdom through all this. I am so thankful how God answered my prayers for the weather. I mean, He moved a snowstorm further into Portland! It missed us completely! Now, I know He didn't do it just for my husband but I am so happy that we were blessed by this. The boys have been working when needed. Good experience for them.

3 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

I'm so excited about your remodel. I hope you are taking before, during and after pictures. It would be neat to have that recorded. I kept picturing your no ceiling with a skylight just floating there! I'm glad you were able to put the skylight in before any amount of rain fell.

Marina is doing well. She got into the honors society, likes her classes, but she still gets overwhelmed at times. I don't think that has to do with being a former homeschooler, though. :o)

I've started my reporting workout this week. My brain is going to be so strong!

Peace and Laughter!

Tiffany Larsen said...

The weather can be really a problem when you’re remodeling the home, but good thing it turned out okay, and you survived for that day. I agree that cleaning is the hardest of all, if only I can skip that part. The skylight on your other blog looks great, and you have a beautiful view there. Anyway, it’s almost a year since this most. I hope the remodeling is done and you’re all happy with the outcome.

Tiffany Larsen

Unknown said...

It’s good to hear that the snowstorm skipped your place or it might damaged your new skylight. I love the idea of placing a skylight in the kitchen since it makes the kitchen more attractive. Well, that’s my personal experience ‘cause after placing a skylight in our kitchen, I loved my kitchen even more and I loved cooking there from that moment on. I hope you’re enjoying your remodeling and you can post photos of your updates.

-- Jere Leach