Sunday, January 31, 2010

One Down, One To Go

My middle son, Alec, turned 12 today. His sister will be nine in 2 weeks. So, one birthday done, one to go. Birthdays are kind of stressful, for some reason. This year was a quiet, less-costly (out of necessity) one which is just fine. He had a great day. Todd worked, came home this a.m., decorated the cake he baked yesterday and went to bed after Alec opened his gifts. We do this at breakfast usually, why wait, I say? Chad and Carmen decorated the dining room with streamers and balloons. All I had to do (after spending 3 weeks of "what do I get him and what can we afford?") was wrap the gifts and sign his card. I personally spent the day quietly, walked with Carmen and read a lot. Alec wanted hot dogs for dinner so that was easy. He's usually a much more demanding kind of kid but today, he was just appreciative and nice. In fact, Todd had said that we could do the cake after lunch, as usual, even though Todd would be sleeping (he works again tonight). When I told Alec this, he asked if we could wait until dinner because he wanted his Dad to be a part of it. That's not like Alec at all, to wait for anything! I thought it was sweet and Todd appreciated it, too. It did make for a hectic meal, as Todd gets up at 5:30 and has to leave by 6:30 but we did it. It was worth it. Todd, by the way, makes great cakes.

We watched a DVD that Todd's sister sent for Alec, a great documentary on whales and dolphins (right up Alec's alley) this evening. When it was over, Alec jumped up and said (for some reason), "I'm strong, I'm 12!" and dashed out of the room. We all laughed ... I think he was really happy. 12 seems to be a milestone for him. And I'm breaking all the rules here about how to write numbers in a sentence. Chad's recent grammar lesson explains the appropriate way to write numbers and I can see glaringly what I'm doing wrong. It's amazing how much I've learned by teaching my kids. Homeschooling is cool.

3 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Happy birthday to Alec! And happy upcoming birthday to Carmen!

They aren't babies anymore, are they. I suddenly realized Sierra would be eight in May. Marina was eight when I was pregnant with Sierra. It's funny how you can feel every moment of that time slosh by and at the same time feel like you blinked and their early childhood flashed before your eyes. :o)

Anyway, enjoy you new 12 year old and your almost 9 year old!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Cat said...

Happy Birthday Alec -and to you too in advance, Carmen!

12 is a cool age -enjoy it guys!

Cate

Mama Self said...

Sounds like the birthday boy had a wonderful birthday and made it a pleasurable day for everyone else, too. :) But twelve is proving to be such a hard age for John. He thinks he's almost a grown-up, but he has SO FAR to go in his understanding of relationships, etc. May the Lord continue to transform these boys into Godly young men.