Saturday, December 29, 2007

Amazing News - We Are Home!!

Yes, you read that correctly! We are actually home! Todd had his surgery on Thursday morning, was out of ICU late that night and into a private room. He didn't even use a wheel chair. We saw him twice yesterday and today - we went in at 10:30 a.m. and he said his doctor thought it was possible that he would be released today! Sure enough, the surgeon came in and gave the o.k. We raced back to the hotel to check out by 12:00 noon, stuffed the trunk with everything and got back to the hospital to get Todd. We put him in the back and my oldest son in the front, surrounded by get well plants and other stuff we couldn't get in the trunk. It was a wild ride home. But we made it! God is amazing .... just amazing. I just can't believe it - can you?!!

I just realized how very, very tired I am. What a roller coaster ride this has been. Just yesterday, we were prepared to stay for another 2-4 days and now we are home. I am having trouble processing all this.

Today, the surgeon told us that it was a difficult surgery but explained how Todd's heart reacted when the pericardium was removed. It was as if his heart was breathing a sigh of relief - "Ahhh, now I can fully beat again!" I remarked that it must have been a beautiful thing. I got to hug the surgeon today - I couldn't help it. He is a very intelligent and kind man. I told him how grateful I was to him and though I couldn't name another child after him, I would name something after him someday. He suggested a pet turtle! (Yes, even surgeons can be funny!)

During our hospital visits, I was able to speak with several people who were there waiting for loved ones to come out of surgery, etc. I offered to pray for several of the people and they were so touched. My kids brought cheer to several people as well. I hugged one lady who spent quite a bit of time putting a puzzle together with Chad during my husband's surgery. I was glad that Chad makes friends so easily with strangers - I think it helped her pass the time while she waited for news of her husband. There was an instant bond with others there, even if we only talked for a few minutes. Everyone had the same expression - I can't explain it but I think you know what I mean. The hospital becomes your village for a few days when you must be there. Does that make sense?

Todd is able to walk and stand for quite awhile but definitely needs his pain meds. He looks and feels really good. He said he has no more shortness of breath and his other symptoms are gone. I am so happy for him. So happy. He now bears the scars of a battle that he has won (with the Power of God). The Power of God! (It must be said twice!) Praise the Lord!

I am so very thankful for all that God has done. And I've told everyone I could how God miraculously worked in my husband's life. I want God to be honored and praised. I taught my kids some worship songs today - it was cool to hear their sweet voices in the car, singing, as we drove to pick Todd up.

I must go sleep now. Thank you again for going through this with me. May the Lord bless you for your role in supporting someone you've never met. (Well, o.k., Carrie has met me but no one else has!) I never thought I'd be so grateful for the Internet. This journey would have been a lonely, lonely one without the support of my friends here. My whole family (especially my husband) have been lifted up by your prayers. Thanks again.

4 comments:

Paula Vince said...

O Wow!! I thought I'd check just in case you'd had a chance to post some news but hardly expected to find any yet. This is awesome!!
On the evening of Dec 27 before bed, I did pray that Todd's surgery would be successful and smooth enough to impress even the doctors. This is great news to read.
Hey, what was that surgeon's name, anyway, just in case you would've had a 4th child to name him after?
You must all be so glad that the surgery is behind you in the last week of '07 so you can move joyfully into 2008. And what an encouraging answered prayer for all of us blogging buddies to move into the New Year with too.
Blessings,
Paula

Cat said...

Praise God!!!!

What fantastic news - I also checked here just in case, but never expected to hear anything from you yet.

You'll be ready to collapse soon from spousal-post-traumatic-stress :-)I suspect!

Am so happy for you all as a family & what a wonderful way to greet 2008

Waving at you from NZ!
Cate

Mama Self said...

What joyous news! I'm so excited and relieved for you and your family. May the Lord continue to heal Todd and grant you a well-deserved rest right along side your dear husband. :)

Leingang Family said...

Praise the Lord!!! We were praying for him on Sunday morning (members asked how he was doing). I am so excited to go back and tell everyone the good news. How wonderful that everything went so well. It is a great way to start off the new year!